Gutmann Soundwave Therapy

Richard Salz rsalz at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 7 10:46:48 EST 2008

> Thus unlike with bridges, you fundamentally can't
> evaluate the quality of a security system you built if you're unfamiliar

> with the state of the art of _attacks_ against security systems, and you

> can't become familiar with those unless you realize that these attacks
> have each brought down a system previously considered impregnable.

I don't see how this invalidates my analogy.

In 1940 they didn't know understand about wind-induced vibration and yet
it brought down the Tacoma Narrows bridge.  A few years ago we didn't know
much about hash collisions, yet since then the field has brought down MD5.

If the field isn't codified, all the more reason to spread knowledge
rather than encourage a priesthood.

        /r$

--
STSM, DataPower Chief Programmer