TLS-SRP & TLS-PSK support in browsers (Re: Dutch Transport Card Broken)

Victor Duchovni Victor.Duchovni at MorganStanley.com
Wed Feb 6 13:51:10 EST 2008

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 09:21:47AM -0800, Frank Siebenlist wrote:

> With the big browser war still going strong, wouldn't that provide
> fantastic marketing opportunities for Firefox?
>
> If Firefox would support these secure password protocols, and the banks
> would openly recommend their customers to use Firefox because its safer
> and protects them better from phishing, that would be great publicity
> for Firefox, draw more users, and force M$ to support it too in the long
> run...

It is a bit early. OpenSSL 0.9.9 is not yet released. I wish OpenSSL
releases were more frequent, and each added fewer features, allowing
features to be released as they mature, this would also reduce pressure
to add features to stable releases (which occasionally break binary
compatibility, and lead to vendors back-porting fixes rather than deploying
the next patch level of the stable release).

While Firefox should ideally be developing and testing PSK now, without
stable libraries to use in servers and browsers, we can't yet expect
anything to be released.

--

 /"\ ASCII RIBBON                  NOTICE: If received in error,
 \ / CAMPAIGN     Victor Duchovni  please destroy and notify