Fixing SSL (was Re: Dutch Transport Card Broken)

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Feb 3 21:51:49 EST 2008

>They can't be as "anonymous as cash" if the party being dealt with
>can be identified.  And the party can be identified if the
>transaction is "online, real-time".  Even if other clues are erased,
>there's still traffic analysis in this case.

If I show up at a store and pay cash for something every week, they
can still do traffic analysis on me ("oh him, he's a regular
customer") unless I go out of my way to obscure my routine like asking
other people to buy stuff for me.

It's not clear to me what the object of this argument is.  Yes, the
harder you work, the more difficult you can make it for other people
to tie your transactions to you.  This shouldn't be news to anyone.

R's,
John