TLS-SRP & TLS-PSK support in browsers (Re: Dutch Transport Card Broken)

Ian G iang at systemics.com
Fri Feb 1 15:34:09 EST 2008

Frank Siebenlist wrote:

> Why do the browser companies not care?

I spent a few years trying to interest (at least) one
browser vendor with looking at new security problems
(phishing) and using the knowledge that we had to solve this
(opportunistic cryptography).  No luck whatsoever.  My view
of why it is impractical / impossible to interest the
browser vendors in new ideas and new security might be
summed as this:

* Browser vendors operate a closed security shop.  I think
this is because of a combination of things.  Mostly, all
security shops are closed, and there aren't any good
examples of open security shops (at least that I can think
of).  We see some outreach in the last few years (blogs or
lists by some) but they are very ... protected, the moat is
still there.

* Browser vendors are influenced heavily by companies, which
have strong agendas.  Security programmers at the open
browsers are often employed by big companies who want their
security in.  They are not interested in user security.
Security programmers need jobs, they don't do this stuff for
fun.  So it is not as if you can blame them.

* Browser vendors don't employ security people as we know
them on this mailgroup, they employ cryptoplumbers.
Completely different layer.  These people are mostly good
(and often very good) at fixing security bugs.  We thank
them for that!  But they are completely at sea when it comes
to systemic security failings or designing new systems.

* Which also means it is rather difficult to have a
conversation with them.  For example, programmers don't know
what governance is, so they don't know how to deal with PKI
(which is governance with some certificate sugar), and they
can't readily map a multi-party failure.  OTOH, they know
what code is, so if you code it up you can have a
conversation.  But if your conversation needs non-code
elements ... glug glug...

* Browser vendors work to a limited subset of the old PKI
book.  Unfortunately, the book itself isn't written, with
consequent problems.  So certain myths (like "all CAs must
be the same") have arisen which are out of sync with the
original PKI thinking ... and out of sync with reality ...
but there is no easy way to deal with this because of the
previous points.

* Browser vendors may be on the hook for phishing.  When you
start to talk in terms like that, legal considerations make
people go gooey and vague.  Nobody in a browser vendor can
have that conversation.

Which is all to say ... it's not the people!  It's the
assumptions and history and finance and all other structural
issues.  That won't change until they are ready to change,
and there are only limited things that outsiders can do.

Just a personal opinion.

iang