Gutmann Soundwave Therapy

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Feb 1 03:42:03 EST 2008

Guus Sliepen wrote:
> Peter's write-up was the reason I subscribed to this cryptography
> mailing list. After a while the anger/hurt feelings I had disappeared.
> I knew then that Peter was right in his arguments. Nowadays I can look
> at Peter's write-up more objectively and I can see that it is not as
> ad-hominem as it felt back then, although the whole soundwave paragraph
> still sounds very childish ;)
>
> When tinc 2.0 will ever come out (unfortunately I don't have a lot of
> time to work on it these days), it will probably use the GnuTLS library
> and authenticate and connect daemons with TLS. For performance reasons,
> you want to tunnel network packets via UDP instead of TCP, so hopefully
> there is a working DTLS implementation as well then.

I have been considering the problem of encrypted channels over UDP or
IP.  TLS will not work for this, since it assumes and provides a
reliable, and therefore non timely channel, whereas what one wishes to
provide is a channel where timeliness may be required at the expense of
reliability.

I have figured out a solution, which I may post here if you are interested.