road toll transponder hacked

mheyman at gmail.com mheyman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 10:15:36 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Perry E. Metzger <perry at piermont.com> wrote:

> http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/21301/?a=f
>
>From the article: "other toll systems, like E-Z Pass and I-Pass, need
to be looked at too"

A couple years ago I got a letter from E-Z Pass a few days after I
used my transponder in my new car without registering my new car. They
gave me a grace period to register before making me pay some sort of
penalty.

So, I believe, at least for E-Z Pass, the attack would have to include
cloning the license plate and pictures may still be available whenever
a victim realizes they have been charged for trips they did not take.

-Michael Heyman