[cryptography] 5x speedup for AES using SSE5?

Eric Young eay at pobox.com
Tue Aug 26 07:41:12 EDT 2008

Hovav Shacham wrote:
> On Aug 24, 2008, at 5:20 AM, Peter Gutmann wrote:
>
>> Speaking of CPU-specific optimisations, I've seen a few algorithm
>> proposals
>> from the last few years that assume that an algorithm can be scaled
>> linearly
>> in the number of CPU cores, treating a multicore CPU as some kind of
>> SIMD
>> engine with all cores operating in lock-step, or at least engaging in
>> some
>> kind of rendezvous every couple of cycles (for example the
>> recently-discussed
>> MD6 uses a round of 16 steps, if I read the description correctly)
>
> My impressions from Ron's talk were different.  For multicore systems,
> the tree structure of the hash allows parallelism at a much higher
> granularity.  For hardware implementation, the feedback-register
> structure of the round function means that 16 steps can be computed in
> parallel.  I didn't get the sense that Ron intends for the second kind
> of parallelism to be used in software implementations.
>
> Hovav.

>From the MD6 powerpoint, it does look good for parallelism.  When using
SSE5 (to get back on topic :-), you should be able to do 2 blocks in the
one instruction stream.  I can't remember enough of the other SSE
instructions to know if the relevant 64bit shifts are present before SSE5.

The only place where I've used multiple CPUs in crypto so far has been
in RSA's CRT, where, due to the magic of
OpenMP support, and a little bit of state splitting, I get the following
throughput numbers for dual core 2.5ghz, athlon64
doing 1024-2 RSA private key operations (number per second)

For normal single threaded, 4650 per cpu second and wall clock second.
OpenMP, 4330 per CPU second, 7360 wall clock second.

So in this case, the OpenMP overhead is about 8% CPU.  MD6 has smaller
chunks, and lots of them, so it will probably scale quite well.

OpenMP, it makes it very easy to put in parallelism.  In this CRT
implementation, it was a simple
#pragma omp parallel for
        for (i=0; i<2; i++)
             /* CRT code */
A few changes were made to make sure the structures were not shared, but
nothing that affects performance.
OpenMP is now in gcc 4.2 which is nice.

MD6, should be just as stupidly easy,

#pragma omp parallel for
    for (block_num=0; block_num<(data_len/512); block_num++) {
       MD6_block(&(ret_st[block_num]), input + block_num*512, block_num,
level, not_root, ....)
    }

Repeat up the levels (depending of memory availability).

eric