multicore hash functions (was: 5x speedup for AES using SSE5?)

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Mon Aug 25 08:36:02 EDT 2008

Hello Peter Gutmann.

I'm working on a contribution to the SHA-3 process, and I've been
using exactly the sort of abstraction that you describe -- counting
one computation of a hash compression function as a unit of work
which could be computed concurrently by some sort of parallel computer.

I vaguely think that once I get this level of analysis done, I should
add some terms to show how the velocity of data into the computer and
from core to core is not infinite.

I certainly think that I should code up some actual implementations
and benchmark them.  However, I don't have a machine available with
lots of cores -- I'm considering requesting of Sun.com that they lend
me a T2.  (Despite my earlier declaration to Sun that I had lost
interest in their stupid architecture since they wouldn't release the
source to the crypto module.)

Anyway, if you have a better way to think about parallelism of hash
functions, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Zooko
---