"Cube" cryptanalysis?

Greg Rose ggr at qualcomm.com
Wed Aug 20 09:11:19 EDT 2008

someone wrote:
> what about RC4, the most important stream
> cipher in the Internet world?

So I cornered Adi for a while. Of course he'd thought of almost
everything I wanted to ask.

You're not the first to think of RC4 (I confess I wasn't either). No, if
you try to express shuffling as a polynomial, its degree is off the planet.

As for some of the other things I said:

when you compound s-boxes, the degrees multiply. For some reason I can
no longer explain, I thought they added. So there's good news and bad news.

The good news is that my/our old designs are safe: degrees ~= 64.

The bad news (if you think of it that way), Skipjack is also safe, the
degree is 4096 (not 32), that is, 8^4 not 8*4.

... and I realised I forgot to mention probably the most interesting
thing about
the attack! It treats the cipher as a black box. You don't need to know
anything about it, except access to an implementation that will accept
variable keys for the precomputation phase. If it isn't vulnerable, the
precomputation fails. But if it is vulnerable, you'll recover the keys
even though you have no idea what the algorithm itself is. Somewhere
along there you discover a distinguishing attack. Amazing.

Someone else suggested Bluetooth (E0). Probably not vulnerable because
the key scheduling is high degree, but neither Adi nor I can remember
enough detail to be sure; the keystream generator would be vulnerable if
the key-IV scheduling was simple enough.

I'm not sure whether Adi's invited talk or Wang's rump session (breaking
MD5, SHA-0, HAVAL, ...) is the high point of Crypto for me... I think Cube.

Greg.