Voting machine security

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Mon Aug 18 16:28:21 EDT 2008

Paul Hoffman writes:
-+------------------
 | At 9:24 AM -0700 8/18/08, Eric Rescorla wrote:
 | >(and because of the complexity of US elections,
 | >hand counting is quite expensive)
 |
 | This is quite disputable. Further, hand vs. machine counting is core
 | to the way we think about the security of the voting system.

The keynote talk for the USENIX Security Symposium was

      Dr. Strangevote or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying
      and Love the Paper Ballot

      Debra Bowen, California Secretary of State

and her talk had one slide only.  I do not have the
slide, but I can reproduce it.  It was a photo of
the tail end of her car and on it a bumper sticker.
That bumper sticker read

      PREVENT UNWANTED PRESIDENCIES
      MAKE VOTE COUNTING A HAND JOB

In no other state could a Constitutional Officer
get away with such a bumper sticker, but...

--dan