On the unpredictability of DNS

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 07:42:19 EDT 2008

It seems like enough time has passed to post publicly, as some of these
are now common knowledge:

Ben Laurie wrote:
> William Allen Simpson wrote:
>> Keep in mind that the likely unpredictability is about 2**24.  In many
>> or most cases, that will be implementation limited to 2**18 or less.
>
> Why?

Remember, this is the sum of the range of the 16-bit DNS header identifier
and the 16-bit UDP port number.

The theoretical maximum is less than 2**(16+16), as the ports less than
4096 are reserved.

Many or most implementations use only a pool of ports: 2**[9, 10, 12]
have been reported.

Some implementations (incorrectly) use positive signed integers for the
DNS identifier: 2**15.

And in this week's Hall of Shame, MacOSX Leopard patch for servers seems
to randomize the BIND request port in a small pool.  The next UDP packet
ports are sequential, so the range to guess is very small, simply by
looking at the following UDP packets.  Very strange reports coming out!
MacOSX total: about 2**18.

Worse, Apple didn't fix Leopard clients, didn't patch the stub resolver
library (neither did BIND), didn't patch earlier versions such as Panther.
Many, many MacOS systems are still vulnerable.

And in case you don't think this matters, once upon a time I helped build
an ISP entirely with Macs, resistant to most compromises.  There are far
more Macs used as resolvers than any other flavor of *nix.

> I don't see why. A perfectly reasonable threat is that the attacker
> reverse engineers the PRNG (or just checks out the source). It doesn't
> need to be common to be predictable.

I don't understand this comment.

When MD5 is used as a PRNG, in this case the upper 32-bits of its 128-bit
output cycle, what amount of samples will reveal the seed, or the current
internal state of the sequence?

When ARC4 is used as PRNG, what amount of samples will reveal the seed or
the current state?

Are you only referring to reverse engineering trivially poor PRNG?