Telephone Phishing

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri Aug 8 15:38:45 EDT 2008

I just got called by an autodialer -- the Caller ID was faked (and in
any case didn't point at a real number since area codes don't start
with "0" -- probably a mistake by the scammers).

After I answered, a tape of a cheerful woman informed me this was my
"last chance to lower the rate on my credit card", and asked me to
press one to continue.

You can fill in the rest of the script on your own.

I'm sure this happens all the time now and I was just unaware of it,
but it is always more vivid when you see it yourself.

I'm certain this scenario would get enough average people to hand over
their credit card data to more than pay for itself, and smart scammers
are probably using VOIP accounts they got with stolen credit card
numbers to do this anyway.

One can also imagine using this technique for a wide variety of spear
phishing attacks. For example, say you stole a large number of credit
card numbers but didn't have the CVV2s -- you could set up an IVR
system to automatically collect them from your victims.

Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com