OpenID/Debian PRNG/DNS Cache poisoning advisory

Dan Kaminsky dan at doxpara.com
Fri Aug 8 13:43:53 EDT 2008

Eric Rescorla wrote:
> At Fri, 8 Aug 2008 17:31:15 +0100,
> Dave Korn wrote:
>
>> Eric Rescorla wrote on 08 August 2008 16:06:

>>> Isn't this a good argument for blacklisting the keys on the client
>>> side?
>>>
>>   Isn't that exactly what "Browsers must check CRLs" means in this context
>> anyway?  What alternative client-side blacklisting mechanism do you suggest?
>>

> It's easy to compute all the public keys that will be generated
> by the broken PRNG. The clients could embed that list and refuse
> to accept any certificate containing one of them. So, this
> is distinct from CRLs in that it doesn't require knowing
> which servers have which cert...
Funnily enough I was just working on this -- and found that we'd end up
adding a couple megabytes to every browser.  #DEFINE NONSTARTER.  I am
curious about the feasibility of a large bloom filter that fails back to
online checking though.  This has side effects but perhaps they can be
made statistically very unlikely, without blowing out the size of a browser.

Updating the filter could then be something we do on a 24 hour
autoupdate basis.  Doing either this, or doing revocation checking over
DNS (seriously), is not necessarily a bad idea.  We need to do better
than we've been.