OpenID/Debian PRNG/DNS Cache poisoning advisory

Dave Korn dave.korn at artimi.com
Fri Aug 8 13:08:03 EDT 2008

Eric Rescorla wrote on 08 August 2008 17:58:

> At Fri, 8 Aug 2008 17:31:15 +0100,
> Dave Korn wrote:
>>
>> Eric Rescorla wrote on 08 August 2008 16:06:

>>> Isn't this a good argument for blacklisting the keys on the client
>>> side?
>>
>>   Isn't that exactly what "Browsers must check CRLs" means in this
>> context anyway?  What alternative client-side blacklisting mechanism do
>> you suggest?
>
> It's easy to compute all the public keys that will be generated
> by the broken PRNG. The clients could embed that list and refuse
> to accept any certificate containing one of them. So, this
> is distinct from CRLs in that it doesn't require knowing
> which servers have which cert...

<scurries off to read CRL format in RFC>

  Oh, you can't specify them solely by key, you have to have all the
associated metadata.  That's annoying, yes, I understand your point now.

  IIRC various of the vendors' sshd updates released in the immediate wake
of the Debian catastrophe do indeed block all the weak keys.

    cheers,
      DaveK