security questions

Leichter, Jerry leichter_jerrold at emc.com
Thu Aug 7 10:32:13 EDT 2008

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, John Ioannidis wrote:
| Does anyone know how this "security questions" disease started, and
| why it is spreading the way it is?  If your company does this, can you
| find the people responsible and ask them what they were thinking?
|
| My theory is that no actual security people have ever been involved,
| and that it's just another one of those stupid design practices that
| are perpetuated because "nobody has ever complained" or "that's what
| everybody is doing".
As best I can determine - based on external observation, not insider
information - the evolution went something like this:

	- It used to be when you needed to access an account by
		phone, whoever you called just believed you were
		who you said.

	- Social engineering of such calls started to become a pain,
		so something else was needed.  Call centers started to
		ask for some additional data - mother's maiden name,
		birthday, last four digits of SSN.  This was data that
		was usually available anyway - SSN's have been used as
		account id's for years, birthday and mother's maiden
		name have been standard disambiguators among people with
		similar names forever.

	- In parallel, passwords started to infiltrate everyday life.
		It's hard to recall that before ATM's became widely
		used (mid to late '70's) there would really have been
		no place the average consumer ever used a password.
		Account numbers, sure - but they came pre-printed on
		your statement or credit card and no one expected to
		memorize them - and no one really thought of them as
		passwords.

	- Once people had to remember passwords, they started to forget
		them.  Of course, before resetting a password, you have
		to validate that the person asking for the reset is who
		he said he is.  The cheapest approach is to use the
		"validation" system you already have:  Those simple
		security questions about birthdays and mothers.

	- Password resetting became a significant cost; people to
		talk on the phone to some idiot customer who's managed
		to forget his password for the 3rd time in a month is
		expensive.  So password reset services moved on-line.
		But now identity validation became more of an issue:  It
		was always assumed (with little justification) that it
		was hard to fool a customer service guy into believing
		you were someone else.  But a Web page?  You need to
		provide *something* that a machine can check.
		Initially, the same information that the humans check
		was used - but in plain text on the screen, that felt
		weak.  So ... why not have the user provide answers to a
		couple of "security questions" that the program can then
		use to validate him before assigning him a new password?

	- Fast forward to a couple of years ago.  Identity theft is
		becoming big business.  Most of that is due to really
		bad security practices - laptops with tens of thousands
		of unencrypted account records left in coffee shops,
		unencrypted WiFi used to transfer credit card info at
		large stores - but that's too embarrassing to talk about.
		Various agencies, government and other get into the
		act, demand "accountability" and "best practices".
		One best practice that gets written into actual
		regulation in the banking business is "two-factor
		authentication".  That spreads as a "best practice" -
		and your best defense against legal and other
		problems is that you show you followed the industries
		established "best practice".  So now everyone needs to
		do two-factor authentication.

	- Ah, but just what does "two-factor authentication" mean?
		We in the security biz know, but apparently none of
		that makes it into the regs.  So, some company - I'm
		sure with sufficient research one could even figure
		out who - decides that, for them, "two-factor" means
		"the password plus the answer to a security question".
		Cheap, easy to implement - they probably already have
		such a system in place for password resets.  People
		are used to it and accept it; no training is needed.
		And ... somehow *they convice the regulatory agency
		involved that this satisfies the regs*.

	- The rest is history.  Everyone must do "two-factor
		authentication".  It's accepted in the industry
		that security questions count.  It's cheap and
		easy to apply.  What's there to discuss?  (Keep in
		mind that, if you're following accepted "best
		practices," any *costs* that result from a
		break-in will likely be born by your customer,
		not you.  So why would you choose any other
		approach?)
							-- Jerry