Strength in Complexity?

Arshad Noor arshad.noor at strongauth.com
Mon Aug 4 14:55:00 EDT 2008

Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> That said, kerberos tickets can persist even in the face of
> disconnects, so once you've connected tickets can survive as long as
> you wish.

But, can the tickets be used for anything useful when the
network does not exist?

I agree that when the network comes back, the ticket can pick
up where it left off and continue providng its stated service
until the ticket expires; but unless there are applications I'm
unfamiliar with, Kerberos tickets are not very useful in the
absence of a network.  Yes, they can be used to authenticate to
local services on the disconnected client, but what benefit does
that provide?

SKMS clients can continue to provide the capability they were
designed for, even when the network is unavailable - it was a
critical design goal.  Yes, applications don't need a central
key-management service to use cryptographic keys on a client;
but the whole business purpose for SKMS is to have centralized
policy-driven key-management, with the added benefit of secure,
disconnected operations.

If this comes back to Ben's original statement about it being
just a key-escrow service, then so be it.  But lets not dismiss
the value standardization and abstraction of this capability
provides - after all people didn't really need DBMS's 30 years
ago because they could do all the data-management operations
inside each application quite well, thank you!

But, the true value of DBMS was to free up application developers,
operations and business managers to deliver new levels of information
services because they no longer had to deal with the arcane mechanics
of data-management in unique ways inside each application, on each
platform.  What DBMS did for the abstraction and standardization of
data-management, I anticipate SKMS doing for key-management.  Those
precise three groups of people - and now, including security and
compliance officers - are slowly starting to discover that for themselves.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.