Strength in Complexity?

Cat Okita cat at reptiles.org
Mon Aug 4 00:29:05 EDT 2008

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008, Arshad Noor wrote:
> A more optimistic way of putting this, Ben, is to state that EKMI allows
> domain-experts of underlying components to address the complex issues of
> their domain in ways that they deem best, while providing value on top
> of those components.  I see no reason to reinvent any of the components
> - despite their imperfections - when they serve my purpose very well.
> The business goal here is not cryptographic elegance or perfection, but
> a solution to a problem without creating new vulnerabilities.

... or in other words, EKMI leaves all of the hard/impossible problems
to be solved by somebody else.  I'd have to agree with Ben that I'm
not seeing the value add of an additional layer of complexity.

> That may be because you are a cryptographer.  If you were the CSO, an
> Operations Director, or an Application Developer in a company that had
> to manage encryption keys for 5,000 POS Terminals, 10,000 laptops,
> desktops and servers across multiple data-centers and 400 stores, you
> would see it very differently.

That's an interesting presumption that you're making -- are you familiar
with your audience?

cheers!