Doubts about efficiency of Shor's factoring algorithm in quantum computers

Ray Perlner rperlner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 16:25:49 EDT 2008

I can't say I entirely followed this paper, but I'm pretty sure that the
paper neglects to take into account the fact that you can move to more
aggressive error correction as the computer scales up. e.g. rather than just
having each logical qbit encoded as 7  physical qbits, you could have each
logical qbit encoded as 7 sub-logical qbits which are in turn represented by
7 logical qbits. From the simulation  graph he gives, he can get an error
rate of 10^-9 per operation in his logical qbits even with a rate of 10^-5
per operation on the physical qbits. I see no reason why a similar
improvement wouldn't be possible with another round of encoding, or merely a
more agressive code that can correct for multiple physical q-bit errors.

Aside from that, I'm frankly not too impressed with the paper --  the author
confuses 256-bit RSA with 256-bit ECC for example. Quantum computing is
still quite a ways off, if nothing else for dumb economic reasons, but this
paper doesn't really do much to convince me that it isn't a real possibility
that we need to be worried about in the long term.