using SRAM state as a source of randomness

Joachim Strömbergson Joachim at Strombergson.com
Tue Sep 25 02:40:52 EDT 2007

Aloha!

Leichter, Jerry skrev:
> So presumably the model is:  Put each manufactured chip into a testing
> device that repeatedly power cycles it and reads all of memory.  By
> simply comparing values on multiple cycles, it assigns locations to
> Class 1 or 2 (or 3, if you like).  Once you've done this enough to have
> reasonable confidence in your assignments, you pick a bunch of Class 1
> locations and use them for the id; and a bunch of Class 2 locations and
> call them the entropy source.  You burn the chosen locations into ROM on
> the chip.  At power up, the chip checks the ROM, and constructs an ID
> from the list of Class 1 locations and a random value from the list of
> Class 2 locations.  (Obviously, you want to be a bit more clever - e.g.,
> if all your Class 1 locations hold the same value on every power up,
> something is wrong with your assumptions and you reject the chip rather
> than using an ID of all 0's or all 1's.  The paper is asserting that
> this won't happen often enough to matter.)

Yes, that is one way to do it - but its not the way they do it in the
paper. Doing it your way, that is writing the bit locations for the ID
and RNG sources into an index mem on chip, goes against the purpose of
the presented scheme. As they write in the paper:

<quote>
The non-volatile approach involves programming an identity into a tag at
the time of manufacture using EPROM, EEPROM, flash, fuse, or more exotic
strategies. While non-volatile identities are static and fully reliable,
they have drawbacks in terms of the process cost and the area cost of
supporting circuitry. Even if only a small amount of non-volatile
storage is used, the process cost must be paid across the entire chip area.
</quote>

One could also argue that if you add the functionality (the non volatile
storage) and take the post-production time (and cost) to write down the
locations, you could just as well write down a normal ID. (You have the
same conclusion futher down in your mail.)

If you do it the way they do it in the paper - communicate the SRAM mem
state to an extrnal source to have your ID extracted for you - doesn't
that change the ID and authentication protocol?

> This is only done during manufacturing.  Presumably it would be
> integrated into the testing process, which you're doing anyway.

Nope, again the paper is (pretty) clear that the external reader
receives the mem dump and then extracts the ID fingerprint using hamming
distance to match the mem dump with a DB of known IDs. This also means
that your Class 2 bits (the RNG sources) will be communicated, something
that I see as a security problem.

Finally. I have been in contact with the authors regarding their view on
rememanence problemns and they simply wait "long enough" to allow
remanence effects to be nullified.

But as I see it the device have no way of knowing that "long enough"
time have passed. And if it hasn't, communicating the SRAM state might
lead to appication information leakage. Correct?

> The unique ID stuff is clever, but it's not clear how much it gains
> you:  Since you need to do some final per-device programming anyway to
> identify the locations to be used for the ID, why not just burn in a
> unique ID?

Exactly.

>  The random generator is clever, but the question is whether
> "produces an unpredictable result" is really a stable characteristic
> of memory.

As Peter Gutmann stated earlier in this thread: "RAM state is entropy
chicken soup, you may as well use it because it can't make things any
worse, but I wouldn't trust it as the sole source of entropy."

Device aging, changes is the manufacturing process, electrical and
environmental changes (accidental or deliberately) will all affect the
RNG, and there is no easy way for the (low cost) device to know how good
or bad quality of the RNG is.

--
Med vänlig hälsning, Yours