Password vs data entropy

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Sat Oct 27 02:28:27 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Pankratov" <ap at poneyhot.org>
To: <cryptography at metzdowd.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 9:16 PM
Subject: Password vs data entropy

> Say, we have a random value of 4 kilobits that someone wants
> to keep secret by the means of protecting it with a password.
>
> Empirical entropy estimate for an English text is 1.3 bits of
> randomness per character, IIRC.
>
> Assuming the password is an English word or a phrase, and the
> secret is truly random, does it mean that the password needs
> to be 3100+ characters in size in order to provide a "proper"
> degree of protection to the value ?
>
> Or, rephrasing, what should the entropy of the password be
> compared to the entropy of the value being protected (under
> whatever keying/encryption scheme) ?
>
> I realize that this is rather .. err .. open-ended question,
> and it depends on what one means by "protected", but I'm sure
> you can see the gist of the question. How would one deem a
> password random enough to be fit for protecting an equivalent
> of N bits of random data ? Is it a 1-to-1 ratio ?

There are two answers:

1) Attacker has no oracle to tell him it is correct, information with
probility is useless
It is only necessary that entropy(plaintext)+entropy(password) >=
sizeof(ciphertext). As a result the password only needs 1 bit of entropy,
and the combiner to generate the ciphertext MUST decrypt to at least two
different plaintexts based on the password.

2) an oracle is available, or probability matters
It is necessary that entropy(password) exceed the computation efforts for
the attacker. This is more difficult to determine because it changes
continually, but 128-bits of entropy is a "good" estimate. It is always at
least difficult, possibly impossible, to prove a useful limit here.
            Joe