Fingerprint Firefox Plugin?

Dave Howe DaveHowe at gmx.co.uk
Wed Oct 24 03:28:05 EDT 2007

Arcane Jill wrote:
> Can anyone tell me... is there a Firefox plugin which allows one to
> view the fingerprint of the SSL certificate of each page you visit
> (e.g. in the status bar or address bar or something)?

   Never needed one. The hoops involved aren't THAT large, at least in
the version I use - click the padlock icon in the right hand side of the
navigation (address/url) box, then the "view" button on the page that
presents.

> Better still if it can learn which ones you trust, but just being
> able to view them without having to jump through hoops would be a
> good start.

you can manually approve certificates of course, however there are a few
tools I find useful.

this one remembers which certificates were (mistakenly) presented by
which domains, so it won't ask you again. it also does something similar
to allow already-expired certs to function.

the author has a blog here where he discusses aspects of the tool and
related technologies:

http://www.andrewlucking.com/archives/category/remember-mismatched-domains/

currently he is blogging about a recently checked-in patch that will add
similar functionality natively to Firefox, and changes to a host's cert
that makes it redundant for Thunderbird.