fyi: Storm Worm botnet numbers, via Microsoft

Brandon Enright bmenrigh at ucsd.edu
Thu Oct 18 15:22:12 EDT 2007

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 16:02:54 -0700 plus or minus some time ' =JeffH '
<Jeff.Hodges at KingsMountain.com> wrote:

> I haven't come across any detailed Storm extent analysis, even with
> having Google search specific security company sites (e.g. using
> "site:sec-corp.com"). So if anyone has pointers to pages (other than the
> MSFT blog article pointed to in an earlier post) that present a sane and
> substantiated analysis of Storm extent, please post 'em. Maybe folks
> don't want to (post 'em or point to 'em)? Are there papers in
> submission? ;-)

Detailed analysis of the Storm network, how it works, its size, etc is
being activly worked on by several research groups.  Storm is nowhere near
50 million nodes and never was.

I will be presenting /some/ of this work at Toorcon in San Diego this
Saturday:

http://www.toorcon.org/2007/event.php?id=38

The presentation is not academic paper quality and takes more of a
code-monkey approach to the network.  Real (sane and substantiated)
numbers, stats, and graphs will be presented.  To the best of my knowledge,
it will be the first publicly released estimates of the size of the network
with actual supporting data and evidence.

Brandon