Quantum Crytography to be used for Swiss elections

Leichter, Jerry leichter_jerrold at emc.com
Mon Oct 15 10:27:48 EDT 2007

| Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 03:20:48 -0400
| From: Victor Duchovni <Victor.Duchovni at MorganStanley.com>
| To: cryptography at metzdowd.com
| Subject: Re: Quantum Crytography to be used for Swiss elections
|
| On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 11:04:15AM -0400, Leichter, Jerry wrote:
|
| > No comment from me on the appropriateness.  From Computerworld.
| >

| Why so shy? ...
Only that we've been over this ground so many times before.

| There is real charm in the phrase "endowed with relevance and
| purpose".
|
| One might, by analogy with the 2nd law of thermodynamics, speculate
| that prior to some of the relevance and purpose of the election data
| rubbing off on the QC system, the QC system was the one more lacking
| in these desirable attributes. If wants to really go out on a limb,
| one might try to apply the fist law also, and conclude that the
| election data has as a result less relevance and purpose.
|
| In our physical analogy, heat is replaced with
| "trust/relevance/purpose".  One can transfer this "heat" from the
| election to a technology or from a technology an election, always in
| the expected direction.
Ah, but this is a quantum system.  I think it's more a matter of
inducing correlations than a physical transfer.

Are trust, relevance, and purpose orthogonal variables?  That seems
unlikely.  So you need to trade of your ability to measure them.

Ah, there are some trustworthy photons.  Oops, we can trust them, but
we don't know if they are relevant.  Ah, there's a relevant photon....

							-- Jerry :-)