307 digit number factored

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sat Oct 13 00:37:36 EDT 2007

> | > AFAIK, the only advantage of ECC is that the keys are
> | > shorter. The disadvantage is that it isn't as well
> | > studied.

James A. Donald:

Leichter, Jerry wrote:
> "Past performance does not predict future results."
>
> I don't think this is a particularly strong argument.  A
> reasonable counter-argument is that we've been doing
> number theory over the integers for hundreds of years,
> while intensive work on computations over elliptic curves
> goes back, what, 20 years at most?

And in those twenty years we have made little progress on the division
problem with elliptic curves, and considerable progress on the discrete
log problem on integers.  Surely, with a thousand year start, progress
on integers should be slowing down, not speeding up.

Further, this is what one would expect from the irregular character of
elliptic curves.