Password hashing

Martin James Cochran Martin.Cochran at Colorado.EDU
Fri Oct 12 14:02:29 EDT 2007

This might work, although 90% of the steps seem to unnecessarily (and
perilously) complicate the algorithm.  What's wrong with starting
with input SALT || PASSWORD and iterating N times, where N is chosen
(but variable) to make brute-force attacks take longer?  It seems
like the designers are trying to specify a cryptographic hash
algorithm...where they make black box calls to SHA-256 or SHA-512.
It's much simpler to just let SHA-256 and SHA-512 do the work.

Adding a requirement that the salt be 128 bits (or more) would
improve the security against brute-force attacks more than any of the
other (convoluted) parts of the algorithm.  I suppose one could argue
that 8 ASCII characters for the salt is relatively secure today, but
what about in 20 years?

Martin