Trillian Secure IM

Alex Pankratov ap at poneyhot.org
Mon Oct 8 23:47:48 EDT 2007

Well, I view it from a slightly different perspective.

Even the most ignorant person knows a difference between
the privacy and the lack of thereof. Cryptography or not.
Therefore, if he is being told that A offers a privacy,
it may lead this person to assume the level of this
privacy protection is adequate ... simply because if it
weren't, it wouldn't be offered. Needless to say that
this sort of an assumption in case of a weak crypto is
dangerous.

When there's a choice between no and weak protection, I am
of course in favour of latter *if* it is clearly labeled as
weak.

> | Which is by the way exactly the case with SecureIM. How
> | hard is it to brute-force 128-bit DH ? My "guesstimate"
> | is it's an order of minutes or even seconds, depending
> | on CPU resources.
>
> It's much better to analyze this in terms of the cost to
> the attacker and the defender.

Yup, I am familiar with the methodology. My point was that
128bit DH is "breakable" in terms of the people from those
forum's threads.

Alex