Trillian Secure IM

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Oct 8 22:52:12 EDT 2007

Marcos el Ruptor <ruptor at cryptolib.com> writes:

>I found those threads:
>
>http://forums.ceruleanstudios.com/showthread.php?t=53433
>
>http://forums.ceruleanstudios.com/showthread.php?t=56207

One of them contains a link to an older thread:

http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33279

with this gem:

  Speaking as a software developer, if I ever had someone on my forums who's
  posts consisted solely of questions about how my private encryption systems
  work [an earlier post by a crypto-savvy person had asked about use of DH
  primes, the block cipher encryption mode used, and so on], I would ban them
  and report them to their ISP without a second thought.

  If you're interested in creating good encryption, learn the principles:
  encryption schemes are weakened when they are based on someone else's work.
  So if you're honestly wanting to make good encryption for Trillian, its a
  bad idea to try to use CS's work as a base.

Bruce, one for your next Cryptogram?

Peter.