Full Disk Encryption solutions selected for US Government use

Stephan Somogyi cryptography at lt.gross.net
Mon Oct 8 13:12:58 EDT 2007

At 02:11 +1300 09.10.2007, Peter Gutmann wrote:

>But if you build a FDE product with it you've got to get the entire product
>certified, not just the crypto component.

I don't believe this to be the case.

FIPS 140(-2) is about validating cryptographic implementations. It is
not about certifying entire products that contain ample functionality
well outside the scope of cryptographic evaluation. That's more of a
Common Criteria thing.

That said, one problem with selling FIPSed products to USG is that
some auditors are sticklers for version numbers. They can require
proof/rep&warrant that the FIPSed version of the crypto is actually
in use.

Audit appeasement requirements frequently cause considerable
annoyance to both vendors and the end user.

At 14:04 +0100 08.10.2007, Ben Laurie wrote:

>? OpenSSL has FIPS 140.

OpenSSL FIPS Object Module 1.1.1 has FIPS 140-2 when running on SUSE
9.0 and HPUX 11i, according to

<http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/documents/140-1/1401val2007.htm#733>

In the context of a conversation about whether something formally has
FIPS validation or not, the details are important.

Back to the original question...

At 11:27 +0000 08.10.2007, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

>Out of curiousity, are any open source FDE products being evaluated?

As far as I recall, none such were submitted for consideration. Bear
in mind that the process isn't just about software, but that a
commercial entity submits both a product that meets the list of
capability checkboxes, and that the entity itself is viable and can
provide support and the like.

s.