Trillian Secure IM

Marcos el Ruptor ruptor at cryptolib.com
Mon Oct 8 08:48:28 EDT 2007

> If that's DH exchange, then it's 128 bit one. Fertile ground
> for some interesting speculation, don't you think ?

There is no speculation. It is 128-bit DH.

I have reported over three years ago to the Trillian forum that they
are using 128-bit DH and that it is not secure. You can look up my
messages about it and how much I got abused for it by everyone trying
to explain to me that 1) it IS secure and 2) no one cares anyway.
They did not change it since then although they promised to. I'd also
made an open-source replacement DLL back then with 512-bit ECDH,
which also supported their 128-bit DH clients if they initiated
secure communication first, but it may have some compatibility issues
with later versions of Trillian. It's supposed to display the common
key fingerprint, not sure if it works now. Feel free to correct it
and to improve it, but Cerulean Studios won't pay for it. It's still
on http://cryptolib.com/ruptor/

Marcos el Ruptor

PS: There was also a buffer overflow in their original DLL if you
send a very long key. I don't know if they have fixed it or not. I
haven't used Trillian since I bought a Mac.