fyi: Adi Shamir's microprocessor bug attack

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Nov 20 22:41:51 EST 2007

' =JeffH ' wrote:
 > Adi Shamir Computer Science Department The Weizmann
 > Institute of Science Israel
 >
 > With the increasing word size and sophisticated
 > optimizations of multiplication units in modern
 > microprocessors, it becomes increasingly likely that
 > they contain some undetected bugs. This was
 > demonstrated by the accidental discovery of the
 > obscure Pentium division bug in the mid 1990's, and by
 > the recent discovery of a multiplication bug in the
 > Microsoft Excel program. In this note we show that if
 > some intelligence organization discovers (or secretly
 > plants) even one pair of integers a and b whose
 > product is computed incorrectly (even in a single low
 > order bit) by a popular microprocessor, then ANY key
 > in ANY RSA-based security program running on ANY one
 > of the millions of PC's that contain this
 > microprocessor can be trivially broken with a single
 > chosen message. A similar attack can be applied to any
 > security scheme based on discrete logs modulo a prime,
 > and to any security scheme based on elliptic curves
 > (in which we can also exploit division bugs), and thus
 > almost all the presently deployed public key schemes
 > will become vulnerable to such an attack.
 >
 > The new attack (which we call a "Bug Attack") is
 > related to the notion of fault attacks discovered by
 > Boneh, Demillo and Lipton in 1996, but seems to be
 > much more dangerous in its implications. The original
 > fault attack required physical possession of the
 > computing device by the attacker, and the deliberate
 > injection of a transient fault by operating this
 > device in an unusual way (in a microwave oven, at high
 > temperature, with high frequency clock, or with a
 > sudden spike in the power supply). Such attacks are
 > feasible against smart cards, but are much harder to
 > carry out against PC's. In the new bug attack, the
 > target PC can be located at a secure location half a
 > world away, and the attacker has no way of influencing
 > its operating environment in order to trigger a fault.
 > In addition, millions of PC's can be attacked
 > simultaneously, without having to manipulate the
 > operating environment of each one of them
 > individually.
 >
 > We now describe the basic idea of the new attack. We
 > assume that the RSA decryption (or signature
 > generation) is using the Chinese Remainder Theorem
 > (CRT) which speeds up the operation by a factor of 4
 > compared to naive implementations, that each
 > multiplication of big  operation by a factor of 4
 > compared to naive implementations, that each
 > multiplication of big numbers proceeds by breaking
 > them into the largest words which can be handled by
 > the native multiplier in that microprocessor
 > (typically 32 or 64 bits), and that all pairs of such
 > words from the two numbers will be multiplied in some
 > order. Knowing the target's public key n, the attacker
 > can easily compute a half size number c which is
 > guaranteed to be between the two secret factors p and
 > q of n. For example, a number c which is the square
> [...]

If I understand this correctly, this is a chosen crypto
text attack.  The attacker constructs a crypto text, the
target decrypts it, and the target then reveals the
decrypted text to the attacker.

But what should happen is that he decrypts a key to be
used in symmetric decryption, applies it, gets garbage,
message checksum fails, message discarded.

Alternatively attacker sends text to be signed by target
- but most signature algorithms contain some random
salt.  If they don't, they should.

Public key systems are not robust if the holder of the
secret key makes an oracle available for decrypting or
signing attacker chosen text.  This attack does not make
them substantially less robust.