refactoring crypto handshakes (SSL in 3 easy steps)

Pasi.Eronen at nokia.com Pasi.Eronen at nokia.com
Thu Nov 15 03:28:43 EST 2007

There's a dependency from "negotiated capabililities"
to the cryptographic things included in the first message
from client to server (since e.g. what algorithm is
used by the client, or even what certificate is selected,
depends on these "non-crypto" capability/feature parts.)

But as James pointed out, you could probably handle this
in "optimistic" mode; i.e. make a guess what the "negotiated
capabilities" are likely to be, and fall back to more
RTTs if the guess is wrong.

(BTW, usually we also want the capability negotiation
to be secure; SSL simply exchanges MACs of all messages
once the key for MAC has been agreed on. Would this
add 0.5 or 1RTT? Or perhaps there's some clever
way to do it without additional RTT?)

Best regards,
Pasi