Caffe Latte attack cracks WEP from clients in 6 mins

travis+ml-cryptography at subspacefield.org travis+ml-cryptography at subspacefield.org
Fri Nov 9 13:35:10 EST 2007

http://www.airtightnetworks.net/knowledgecenter/wep-caffelatte.html

The Caffe Latte attack debunks the age old myth that to crack WEP, the
attacker needs to be in the RF vicinity of the authorized network,
with at least one functional AP up and running. We demonstrate that it
is possible to retrieve the WEP key from an isolated Client - the
Client can be on the Moon! - using a new technique called "AP-less WEP
Cracking". With this discovery Pen-testers will realize that a hacker
no longer needs to drive up to a parking lot to crack
WEP. Corporations still stuck with using WEP, will realize that their
WEP keys can be cracked while one of their employees is transiting
through an airport, having a cup of coffee, or is catching some sleep
in a hotel room. Interestingly, Caffe Latte also has a great impact on
the way Honey-pots work today and takes them to the next level of
sophistication.

At its core, the attack uses various behavioral characteristics of the
Windows Wireless stack along with already known flaws in WEP to pull
off this feat! We have considered all combinations of network
configurations and shown how it is possible to retrieve the WEP key in
matter of less than 6 minutes in each case. We exploit the shared key
authentication flaw and the message modification flaw in 802.11 WEP,
to send a flood of encrypted ARP requests to the isolated Client. The
Client replies to these requests with a barrage of encrypted ARP
cryptographic attack and recover the WEP key in less than 6
minutes. It is important to note that though our talk will center on
wireless Clients which run a Windows operating system, the core idea
presented can be easily used to find similar attacks for other
operating systems.
--
Life would be so much easier if it was open-source.
<URL:https://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/> Eff the ineffable!