307 digit number factored

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Mon May 21 22:48:19 EDT 2007

Victor Duchovni wrote:
> The other issue is that sites will need multiple certs during any
> transition from RSA to ECC, because the entire Internet won't upgrade
> overnight. I am not expecting public CAs to cooperate by charging the
> same price for two certs (RSA and ECC) for the same subject name(s),
> this also may significantly impede migration.

in theory, certification authorities charge for the certification operations
that they perform ... and the certificate is just a representation of that
certification process.

somewhere over the yrs the term "certification authority" was truncated
to "certificate authority" ... along with some impression that
certificates are being sold (as opposed to certification processes).

doing quicky web search of licensing and certification agencies ... it
looks like there is charge for replacing certificates/licenses ... but
nothing compared to the charge for the original certification process.

of course ... the whole licenses/credentials/certificates are an offline
world paradigm .... licensing, credentialing, and certifications can be
validated with online, real-time operations ... obsoleting any requirement for
supporting offline methodologies.

it would be really great to make it an excuse to move away from offline
paradigm to real online operation ... getting totally rid of the need for
domain name certificates ... DNS serving up both ip-addresses and public
keys in single operation.