Russian cyberwar against Estonia?

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Mon May 21 14:19:28 EDT 2007

At 01:04 PM 5/18/2007, Trei, Peter wrote:
>If the Russians aren't behind this, who else should be
>suspected? It isn't like Estonia has a wide selection of
>enemies. :-)

There are three likely suspects
- the actual Russian government (or some faction thereof)
- Russian Mafia for whatever reasons (might not be distinct from a faction
of the government,
         and usually if the Mafia's involved they're polite enough to
         send a note demanding money or something.)
- Some teenage hacker who got annoyed at some other teenage hacker
         because they got into an argument on WoW or Myspace
         and decided to DDOS him (usually attacks like that
         don't take down much more than a small ISP or a university,
         but like "D00d, you're so 0wn3d, I can take down ur whole
*country*" :-)

The latter isn't as far-fetched as it sounds (well, ok a bit...)