no surprise - Sun fails to open source the crypto part of Java

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Mon May 14 17:49:31 EDT 2007

iang at systemics.com (Ian G) on Monday, May 14, 2007 wrote:

>Third option:  the architecture of Sun's Java crypto
>framework is based on motives that should have been avoided,
>and have come back to bite (again).

I think it is likely that Sun architected the Java crypto framework to
be able to obey the letter of the export regulations then in effect.
They made it so the actual crypto implementations could differ from
country to country, and from supplier to supplier, while trying (not
very successfully IMHO) to provide a consistent application interface.

Cheers - Bill