no surprise - Sun fails to open source the crypto part of Java

Ian G iang at systemics.com
Fri May 11 10:42:47 EDT 2007

Does anyone know what Sun failed to opensource in the crypto
part of Java?

http://news.com.com/Open-source+Java-except+for+the+exceptions/2100-7344_3-6182416.html

They also involve some elements of sound and cryptography,
said Tom Marble, Sun's OpenJDK ambassador. "We have already
contacted the copyright holders. We were unable to negotiate
release under an open-source license," Marble said.

To sidestep the issue, Sun for now includes the proprietary
software as prebuilt "binary" modules that programmers can
attach to the versions of Java built from source code.