Was a mistake made in the design of AACS?

Ian Farquhar (ifarquha) ifarquha at cisco.com
Wed May 9 23:46:29 EDT 2007

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 10:25:34AM -0700, Steve Schear wrote:
> Well, there's an idea: use different physical media formats for entertainment and non-
> entertainment content (meaning, content created by MPAA members vs. not) and don't sell
> writable media nor devices capable of writing it for the former, not to the public, keeping
> very tight controls on the specs and supplies.  [...]

Sony's UMD format is an example of this approach.  I doubt even the most reality-disconnected marketeers in Sony could call it
anything but an abject failure.  I also doubt any company other than Sony - which has a long history of believing it can control
the delivery format - would have even bothered.

Ian.