Was a mistake made in the design of AACS?

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Wed May 2 16:34:49 EDT 2007

* Perry E. Metzger:

> This seems to me to be, yet again, an instance where failure to
> consider threat models is a major cause of security failure.

Sorry, but where's the security failure?  Where can you buy hardware
devices that can copy HD disks?  Or download software that does, with
a readily usable interface?

In that sense, even CSS hasn't really been broken.

Even the flurry of DMCA takedown notices isn't necessarily a bad move.
It might help to shape the future of how access to content is
regulated in some very particular way.