The HD-DVD key fiasco

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Wed May 2 14:15:05 EDT 2007

Currently,

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2209+f9+11+02+9d%22&btnG=Search

reveals order of 50,000 hits. Doubtless soon it will be many times
that number.

When you treat the whole world, and especially your own customers, as
the enemy, eventually everyone will come to reciprocate.

Perhaps, in the words of one jurist, the constitution is not a suicide
pact. However, it has become increasingly clear that a takedown notice
can be a suicide note.

I'm not that interested in our discussing the politics of this much
further, as I think almost everyone here is in violent agreement. I'll
take interesting new postings on the topic, but the threshold for
interesting is pretty high. I would be interested in further legal
discussion of the DMCA's ability to control the publication of mere
cryptographic keys, and in further technical discussion of AACS
and similar DRM technologies.

Perry