Governance of anonymous financial services

Allen netsecurity at sound-by-design.com
Fri Mar 30 00:23:17 EDT 2007

Steve,

I assume that you mean the owner of the on-line financial service
when you say "operator," correct? In which case what exactly are
the auditors going to be looking at when comes time to audit but
the operator's identity, whereabouts, the servers and a portion
of the assets are undisclosed?

In a basic sense auditing is to see if the reality behind the
books matches the books. That the number of sheaves of wheat you
have in the warehouse match the number you have in the office. If
you can not locate the reality what are you verifying?

I've been involved after a compliance audit that in reality was
totally bogus because some aspects of the business in question -
a financial institution at that - did not have an accurate org
chart so the unit that was clearly out of compliance in their use
of private data which wasn't being protected properly didn't even
get looked at. This is a business with a major physical presence
and yet the auditor's stamp of approval meant nothing.

I think, rather than governance, this goes to the heart of trust
in relationships. Governance to me is more the process of
verifying that the trust is not misplaced and that audits are
simply one way, but only one of many ways, of quantifying the
level of trust one can have in the relationship.

My sense is that cryptography's role in this is to protect the
assets from external forces, not verifying that insiders haven't
cooked the books. However, I have been known to be wrong a time
or two.

Best,

Allen