Free Rootkit with Every New Intel Machine

Ian Farquhar (ifarquha) ifarquha at cisco.com
Sat Jun 23 18:41:03 EDT 2007

I agree with Peter here.  I also tried to procure a motherboard with a TPM chip - to play with Bitlocker mostly - and came to
the same conclusion.

I did find a few MBs, mostly from Intel, and a couple of other vendors.  All of these were corporate-style MB's, as opposed to
the gamer/enthusiast style I needed.

For example: the Gigabyte GA-965QM-DS2 (rev 2.0) which "features security enhancement by TPM".  More common (ASUS, Foxconn) was
the "TPM Connector", which seemed to be a hedged bet, by replacing the cost of the TPM chip with the cost of a socket.

I also went looking for a TPM on some other delivery mechanism (USB stick?  PCI card?  Anything...) but didn't turn anything up
I was actually able to purchase at the time (but maybe not now - see the BCM5751 below).

There's a slightly out of date matrix of products here:

http://www.tonymcfadden.net/tpmvendors_arc.html

I too have heard rumors of TPM functionality being included in either North or South Brigdes, but I haven't seen that happen yet
(aside from Intel, few vendors release detailed chipset datasheets anyway).  Winbond do have a "Trusted IO" series of chips
which are basically LPC controllers plus the TPM chip (all now "not recommended for new designs"), and Transmeta did embed the
TPM in the TM5800.  Apparently Broadcomm also did embed a TPM on their BCM5751 and BCM5751M ethernet controllers.

Interestingly, you will find the BCM5751 on several high end motherboards, but the presence of TPM functionality isn't often
mentioned.  Riiigggghhhhtttt.... :)

Apple is one vendor who I gather does include a TPM chip on their systems, I gather, but that wasn't useful for me.

Ian.