question re practical use of secret sharing

Alexander Klimov alserkli at inbox.ru
Thu Jun 21 12:58:08 EDT 2007

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> It's available as part of other products (e.g. nCipher do it for keying their
> HSMs), but I don't know of any product that just does... secret sharing.  What
> would be the user interface for such an application?  What would be the target
> audience?  (I mean a real target audience, not some hypothesised scenario).

<http://monolith.sourceforge.net/>:

  Monolith is a simple tool that takes two arbitrary binary files
  (called a Basis file and an Element file) and "munges" them together
  to produce a Mono binary file (with a .mono extension). Monolith can
  also reconstruct an Element file from a Basis file and a Mono file.

So if one xors a Linux iso image and some movie, it is quite hard to
claim that the result is copyright-protected.

--
Regards,
ASK