Blackberries insecure?

Ian G iang at systemics.com
Thu Jun 21 09:47:21 EDT 2007

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> According to the AP (which is quoting Le Monde), "French government
> defense experts have advised officials in France's corridors of power
> to stop using BlackBerry, reportedly to avoid snooping by U.S.
> intelligence agencies."
>
> That's a bit puzzling.  My understanding is that email is encrypted
> from the organization's (Exchange?) server to the receiving Blackberry,
> and that it's not in the clear while in transit or on RIM's servers.

(quick reply) they specifically mentioned the servers:

"The ban has been prompted by SGDN concerns that the
BlackBerry system is based on servers located in the US and
the UK,..."

https://financialcryptography.com/mt/archives/000856.html
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/dde45086-1e97-11dc-bc22-000b5df10621.html

iang