How the Greek cellphone network was tapped.

Eric Cronin ecronin at gizmolabs.org
Thu Jul 12 10:37:59 EDT 2007

On Jul 6, 2007, at 6:20 PM, John Ioannidis wrote:

> Unfortunately, it's not so easy to roll your own on top of a 3G-
> enabled smartphone. The "broadband" channel does not have the tight
> jitter and throughput guarantees that voice needs, and some
> providers (Verizon in the USA for example) consider running voice
> traffic over their "broadband" network a violation of the usage
> agreement (no need to blame the government for that, their own
> greed is adequate explanation). There are lots of other technical
> and human-factors issues that have been covered to great extent in
> this and other fora.
>
> /ji

The Cryptophone project in Europe <http://www.cryptophone.de/> has
been trying to tackle the QoS issues for four or five years now.  I
haven't looked at their implementation closely in several years, but
back in 2002 or so they were using CSD (modem-modem calls) instead of
the broadband channel, trading bandwidth for low jitter...  With
current CPUs and audio codecs you can get decent voice quality over
9600bps.

Thanks,
Eric