How the Greek cellphone network was tapped.

Ken Buchanan ken.buchanan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 09:46:48 EDT 2007

On 7/9/07, alan <alan at clueserver.org> wrote:
> Makes me wonder how this will effect the OpenMoko phone if someone builds
> an encryption layer for it. (OpenMoko is a totally open sourced phone.)

Leigh Honeywell and Paul Wouters presented a 'crypto-phone' effort
they have been working on at CCC in Germany last December.

They later presented an update at a meeting in Toronto:
http://www.task.to/events/presentations/securephone-task.pdf

They are building on OpenMoko and the Neo1973 phone
(http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo1973), because it is the only phone
they could find that allows OS modifications without breaking code
signing.

As I understand it, it's not true end-to-end.  It makes a 'VPN'
connection to an Asterisk PBX that you have configured somewhere in
the world, presumably on a phone network trusted more than the
wireless one you are currently on.  If the PBX has to route the call
back into public infrastructure to the other endpoint, then there is
cleartext exposure again.