How the Greek cellphone network was tapped.

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Tue Jul 10 01:59:56 EDT 2007

* John Ioannidis:

> Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> It's also an open question whether network operators subject to
>> interception requirements can legally offer built-in E2E encryption
>> capabilities without backdoors.
>>

> You probably meant device vendors, not network operators. The whole
> *point* of E2E security is that network operators are not involved. If
> they were, it wouldn't be end-to-end!

Uh-oh, no.  The protocol characteristics don't change depending on who
is selling you the device.  Many telcos have an aversion to end-to-end
protocols.  Building reliable networks for ill-behaving end systems
has been a pretty recent idea (and we are still far away from a
complete solution).

There aren't any interception requirements for device vendors, either,
at least not any I'm aware of.  They aren't telcos.  Projects like
OpenMoko should not be affected.