FIPS 140-2, PRNGs, and entropy sources

Darren Lasko dlasko at ieee.org
Sun Jul 8 00:53:17 EDT 2007

Hello,

I have a couple of questions related to FIPS 140-2:

1) Can a product obtain FIPS 140-2 certification if it implements a PRNG
from NIST SP 800-90 (and therefore is not listed in FIPS 140-2 Annex C)?  If
not, will Annex C be updated to include the PRNGs from SP 800-90?

2) Does FIPS 140-2 have any requirements regarding the quality of the
entropy source that is used for seeding a PRNG?  I couldn't find any such
requirement, which seems like a glaring oversight when evaluating the
security of a product that may generate keys and other critical security
parameters.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Darren Lasko