How the Greek cellphone network was tapped.

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jul 6 01:10:03 EDT 2007

"Perry E. Metzger" <perry at piermont.com> writes:

>A fascinating IEEE Spectrum article on the incident in which lawful intercept
>facilities were hacked to permit the secret tapping of the mobile phones of a
>large number of Greek government officials, including the Prime Minister:

Some years ago I talked to an ex-GTE person about law enforcement requiring
intercept capabilities to be built into phone switches.  His comments about
their approach to security (which he was responsible for) was: "They were
absolutely clueless, they assumed you could put 'Police line do not cross'
tape on the intercept portions and everyone would dutifully keep out".  He'd
left by the time it was implemented, but since there was never any significant
budget allocated to securing the intercept capabilities the impression I got
was that it only had whatever the developers could bolt on with the least cost
and effort.

Peter.