UK RIPA Pt 3

Peter Fairbrother zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk
Wed Jul 4 15:22:56 EDT 2007

The UK Home Office have just announced that they intend to bring the
provisions of Pt 3 of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000
into force on 1st October. This is the law that enables Policemen to
demand keys to encrypted material, on pain of imprisonment, and without
judicial approval of these demands.

There is one last Parliamentary process to go through, the approval of a
code of practice, but as far as I know there has never been a case of
one of these failing to pass - though a related one was withdrawn a few
years ago. We will try to prevent it happening, the chances of success
are against us but it is not impossible.

You are not required to keep keys indefinitely, or give up a key you
don't have, but the rules regarding the assumption that you know a key
at least partially reverse the normal burden of proof.

m-o-o-t will be there on the day. m-o-o-t is a freeware live CD
containing OS and applications, including an ephemerally keyed messaging
service, and a steganographic file system.

If anyone knows of any other technologies to defeat this coercive attack
I would be glad to hear of them, and perhaps include them in m-o-o-t.

-- Peter Fairbrother
www.m-o-o-t.org