The bank fraud blame game

Philipp Gühring pg at futureware.at
Tue Jul 3 12:12:33 EDT 2007

Hi,

The problem I found (during my research for
http://www.cacert.at/svn/sourcerer/CAcert/SecureClient.pdf )
for Smartcards and other external devices for secure banking is the following:

About 50% of the online-banking users are doing personal online banking on
company PCs, while they are at work. Company PCs have a special property:
They are secured against their users. A user can´t attach any device to a
company PC that would need a driver installed.
So any solution like Smartcard-readers, or USB Tokens that needs any special
application or driver will not work for 50% of the online-banking customers.
(And the banks aren´t that happy about loosing 50% of their customers).

So I would say there are 2 possibilities left:

* An external device, where you have to enter the transaction details a second
time to generate some security code
(Can you show me the user that wants to enter each transaction twice?)

* An external device that lets the user verify the transaction independently
from the PC.

The second possiblity has been realized by some european banks now, based on
SMS and mobile phones, which sends the important transaction details together
with a random authorisation code, that is bound to the transaction in the
bank´s database. The user can then verify the transaciton, and then has to
enter the authorisation code on the webinterface.
(And the good thing is that they succeeded to get the usability so good that
it´s more convenient than the previous TAN solution, and the cost increase of
SMS compared to paper TANs is irrelevant)

So I personally would declare the online-banking problem solved (with SMS as
second channel), but I am still searching for solutions for all others,
especially non-transactional applications.

Best regards,
Philipp Gühring